[ogg-dev] .NET tagging library for ogg Vorbis and ogg FLAC

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Fri Apr 20 10:55:38 PDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 03:10:09PM +0000, Mathias Kunter wrote:

> 1) Is it valid to insert an "empty" page into the stream which simply contains the binary value 0 for the page_segments counter, and which therefore contains no segment table nor any packet data? I'd like to do this to produce a gapless page sequence number so that I don't have to re-number all following pages, so that I don't have to re-compute the checksums of all following pages. This is way faster.

Good question! I don't think anyone has thought of that before. libogg
can't produce such pages, but the code doesn't obviously look like it
will fall over. Have you tested this?

The specs clearly didn't consider this case, but I agree the appropriate
interpretation is that the page is empty, containing no packet segments.
If the software doesn't treat it as such we should fix that. It is more
likely to cause problems with embedded implementations though.

> 2) Is it correct that in multiplexed files the page sequence number is in the scope of the logical stream, not of the physical stream (meaning that the sequence numbers of two logical streams multiplexed into a physical file stream both start with 0)?

That is correct. The page sequence number is for detecting missing or
corrupt data, so you don't end up concatenating segments from different
packets, and thus is scoped by the logical stream. The granulepos field
is the only thing that affects ordering in a multiplexed stream.

 -r