[ogg-dev] Re: Summer of Code: subtitle editor

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon May 29 12:08:58 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 05:24:47PM +0300, Daraku wrote:

> Yes, It will be much easier to develop and maintain this project in
> python. But, I don't think it will be easier to end-user, because
> end-user will be forced to install python and other libs (that commonly
> not installed) to run this application (in real it will be hard only for
> Windows users ).

I think for Windows and MacOS it just makes the application large
because you have to embed the python interpreter. I don't use Windows,
but such applications seem to take a long time to launch on macos. Once
running they are responsive. Personally, I think the GStreamer and GTK
dependencies are much more of an issue for porting to Windows and MacOS.

Perhaps the best thing is just to structure things so the UI can be
replaced relatively easily later for porting to other toolkits.

> P.S. I know C and Python well and can write good code on both languages.

Good. I don't have a strong feeling either way. Conrad has voted for
python, so perhaps you should start with that and port to C if there's
time once the design has settled down?

 -r

P.S. We should move this discussion to the public list. I've cc'd
ogg-dev. Conrad, I'm happy to use annodex-dev instead if you prefer,
but you should make the archives public.