[ogg-dev] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Google Summer of Code with Xiph.org

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu May 25 02:29:06 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, Dominik Zalewski <dominikz at amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a person that applied for Google SoC 2006. Unfortunately I did not
> get accepted. If you are wondering what my proposal was here are the
> details:
>
>   http://atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl/~dominikz/stream-of-roses.pdf
>   http://atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl/~dominikz/resume.pdf
>
> I would like to contact some person that was responsible for reviewing
> and ranking my application. I understand there were some issues that
> made other applicants highly ranked. I just would like to know what
> was the problem with my application to be better prepared for the next
> year.

Hi Dominik,

I've trimmed the CC list here a lot, since this has nothing to do with
most of the lists you emailed it to.

Your application was interesting, but - like all the other
organisations involved in SoC - Xiph got a LOT of high quality
applications. In the end, the decisions were made mostly on both
application quality, AND priority for getting these things done within
Xiph.

As for the specifics of your application: clearly, you put a lot of
thought and effort into it. One worry that some of us had was that a
pure simulation tends not to model enough of the complex network
effects to develop a useful real-world model. Also, Xiph is not,
primarily, a research organisation - while we do research within the
organisation, it's always with the intent of a real, usable, bit of
software at the end.

If you want to develop this anyway, I don't think we'd have any
problem with allowing you access to our SVN server, etc. We discussed,
before the deadline, explicitly offering to help out the people who we
were unable to accept in the SoC program anyway - though we can't
offer any money.

Mike