[ogg-dev] page syncing and magic OggS

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 07:18:02 PST 2006

I may be missing something, but is there a good way
of finding the start position of an ogg page in a bitstream?

Pages have to start with 'OggS', but this could also turn
up elsewhere in the bitstream, so is there a simple strategy
using the libogg API to find out which ones are the start of
pages? (Other than trying to decode from successive
'OggS' markers and noting when the resulting page
changes.)

Is this what ogg_sync_page_seek is for?  I can't quite
work out from the documentation what it does.
http://xiph.org/ogg/doc/libogg/ogg_sync_pageseek.html
Does the sequence go, get a page, find a nearby 'OggS',
put data from that point into a sync_state and ask
pageseek whether we're in the right place?

--
imalone