[ogg-dev] New to mailing list! Help needed

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Sep 22 06:21:45 PDT 2005

On 9/22/05, Dattaguru B.N. <dattagurubn at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>
> I am new to the mailing list.  I have an experience of
> 4 years working on MPEG Audios - MP3, AAC, AAC+.
>
> I was interested with Ogg Vorbis because of its unique
> way of encoding.
>
> I want to get documentation on Ogg Vorbis Encoding and
> Decoding procedures ( step by step as for a
> developer).

There is a full specification available (it's linked from
http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/ in both HTML and PDF format), so
that's probably what you want to start with.

It fully specifies what a decoder has to do, but it doesn't explain
how the reference encoder works (some specifications have a
non-normative section giving a brief outline of that sort of thing,
the vorbis spec doesn't - it only has the normative decode spec).

There isn't really any documentation of the exact operation of the
reference encoder, except of course the source code, which is freely
available and usable under a pretty liberal license.

Mike

p.s. You should probably ask this sort of question on the vorbis-dev
list in the future, as there are many more people on that list that
can help.