[ogg-dev] OggPCM2 : chunked vs interleaved data

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+xiph at mega-nerd.com
Thu Nov 17 01:59:56 PST 2005

Sampo Syreeni wrote:

> Secondly, I'd like to see the channel map fleshed out in more detail.

Sampo,

I did flesh out the wiki a **little** more. Is the intent clearer now?

> (Beware of the pet peeve...)

What is that pet peeve?

> IMO the mapping should cover at least the
> channel assignments possible in WAVE files, the most common Ambisonic
> ones, and perhaps some added channel interpretations like "surround"
> which are commonly used but lacking in most file formats.

I haven't enumerated them all, but we should be able to without too
much trouble,

 (For example,
> THX does not treat surround as a directional source, so the correct
> semantics cannot be captured e.g. by WAVE files.

Do you have any more info about THX? I've searched the web and found
little of any worth.

> (As a further idea prompted by ambisonic compatibility encodings, I'd
> also like to explore the possibility of multiple tagging. For example,
> Dolby Surround, Circle Surround, Logic 7 and ambisonic BHJ are all
> designed to be stereo compatible so that a legacy decoder can play them
> as-is.

Does the Channel Conversion Header cover this?

Cheers,
Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo