[ogg-dev] OggPCM format description, rev 3

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun Nov 13 15:42:58 PST 2005

> 3. Does Ogg support zero length data packets? This was something I added
> as an afterthought, to support the case where an application might not
> know that the packet it just stuffed into the stream was actually the last
> packet, so I thought it might be useful to be able to store a zero length
> data packet with the EOS flag set that an application could use to
> finalize the stream.

Ogg explicitly supports empty pages with the EOS flag set for
precisely this purpose. At least in theory (i.e. according to spec); I
haven't actually tested this with real applications. So codecs don't
need zero-length packets to tag this case. I'm not sure whether zero
length packets would work, but I see no obvious reason why they
couldn't; I think they probably do.

Mike