[Theora-dev] & [ogg-dev] OggYUV

John Koleszar jkoleszar at on2.com
Tue Nov 8 11:29:28 PST 2005

Arc wrote:

>Not the camera, only the application which goes between the camera and
>OggStream.  Plus, changing between packed and planar is easy, my reason for
>wanting to avoid packed is there's simply too many different ways to do it.

My argument is that that application shouldn't have to convert to a
fixed format. It should be able to say here's some YUY2 data and
OggStream could figure out how to encode that to Theora by using an
intermediate filter.

>Um, other formats? I don't grok your statement.  This is what I'm talking about:
>
>[Theora] -> Theora plugin -> [OggYUV:420] -> Colorspace Plugin -> [OggYUV:444] -> Media Player
>
>The current design of OggStream lets you build a chain, if needed, to decode.

Agreed. I'm focusing on the encode side:

[Opaque] -> Import plugin -> [Arbitrary raw format] -> Colorconvert
Plugin -> [OggYUV:420] -> Theora plugin

What I think you're proposing is

[Opaque] -> Import plugin -> [OggYUV:420] -> Theora plugin

I think you need that extra layer in there to get the cleanest interface
and most code reuse (eg, everyone will use the same colorconverter)

>A more intelligent Theora plugin is, thus, not nessesary.

Agreed.