[ogg-dev] ogm file format

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Apr 14 02:08:09 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 03:18:47PM +0800, illiminable wrote:

> No it doesn't. OGM allows *any* video format with a FOURCC code to be put
> into an ogg file.

To clarify, OGM is a hybrid format. It's a valid Ogg file with
substream headers borrowed from AVI to mark the encapsulation
of various data types that don't have a specific Ogg mapping.

It is not and has never been supported by Xiph; we recommend
applications (a) use free codecs exclusively and (b) define a
specific mapping profile if they're using a new codec.

The best documentation for the OGM mapping I'm aware of is the
source code to the ogmtools package, available in many distributions
and at http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/ogmtools/

 -r