[ogg-dev] ogm file format

illiminable ogg at illiminable.com
Thu Apr 14 00:18:47 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arc" <arc at Xiph.org>
To: "renan [aestesis]" <renan at aestesis.org>
Cc: <ogg-dev at Xiph.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: [ogg-dev] ogm file format

> I suggest you try out Ogg Theora for Ogg-based video.  It's fully
> documented and, well, patent-free (whereas OGM requires a MPEG-4 license
> to be distributed legally - it was produced by a 3rd party, not Xiph).

No it doesn't. OGM allows *any* video format with a FOURCC code to be put
into an ogg file. While a large proportion of ogm files around do in fact
use divX or similar, that's through the choice of the content encoder not
because of ogm.

OGM can also embed raw video formats like RGB or YUV raw types, which have
no patent issues.

OGM is just a codec meta-header.

Zen.