[neurosetta] positron experiences and questions

Stan Seibert volsung at mailsnare.net
Tue Jul 1 05:57:50 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 12:22, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > This is interesting.  I'd be curious to know what the difference is.
> > (For the record, since I couldn't find a "copy file" function in the os
> > module, I wrote my own that reads 1 MB from the source and writes 1 MB
> > to the destination alternately.  Would smaller chunks work better?)
>
> Perhaps python is not freeing the memory?  Can you watch memory usage
> and see what happens?  Shouldn't be an issue, but you never know.

Yeah, I just watched CPU and memory with top during an upload (which
after some time failed).  This testing was done using an iBook w/ a 700
MHz G3 running Mandrake 9.1 w/ kernel 2.4.20-benh-10mdk.

While positron was searching for files to sync, the memory usage was
between 4-5 MB, and the CPU usage by the python process was about 30%.
Once it started copying, the CPU usage dropped to 2-3% and the memory
usage went up to about 6.5 MB.

The crash was finally caused by the kernel deciding that the filesystem
drivers were seeking beyond the end of the device because the kernel had
decided the device had only 125 MB of space for some reason. Perhaps it
had incorrectly cached the size information from when I mounted the
Neuros Flash disk to update the firmware.  I'm not sure yet.

---
Stan Seibert

Neurosetta homepage: http://www.neurosetta.org/