[Icecast] Education - 1, 000s, 100, 000's, Millions of listeners. (What kind of infrastructure)

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Mar 21 00:49:48 UTC 2024

On Mar 20, 2024, at 18:05, Wayne Barron <wayne at cffcs.com> wrote:

> Now, if I did do the cloud.
> Would that be to host the servers or just the files or everything?

A lot depends on the composition of your audience. If you’re looking to serve a primarily regional audience (as many terrestrial AM/FM outlets do in the US), then Icecast paired with an ISP that has good coverage of the target region can be a very effective setup. I do echo Tom’s advice about good peering arrangements!

You want to investigate costs carefully when looking at cloud setups — I’ve found that bandwidth (as opposed to raw IOPS) at some cloud providers can be quite expensive. One of the nice things about using a CDN is that you only need to deliver the stream to a single (or perhaps redundant pair of) endpoint(s). You can get by with quite a modest circuit for the “first mile” that way, though of course you will be paying for the bandwidth provided by the CDN on the fanout.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|         A room without books is like a body without a soul.         |
|                                                         -- Cicero   |