[Icecast] "Could not create listener socket on port" error only when using systemd service

Petr Pisar petr.pisar at atlas.cz
Tue Oct 17 08:51:52 UTC 2023

V Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 12:34:42PM -0700, Jordan Erickson napsal(a):
> On 10/16/23 10:37, Michael C Cambria wrote:
> > I'm using icecast via Fedora 37 package and systemd service to start.
> >
> > I've added multiple <listen-socket> but get:
> >
> > "EROR connection/connection_setup_sockets Could not create listener
> > socket on port xxx"
> *snip*
>
> That error sounds like it could either be an issue relating to which user is
> starting the Icecast daemon (f.e. typically only root can listen on ports <
> 1024), or there'salready a service running on the requested port (which you
> seem to have verified it's not).
>
> What are these multiple listening sockets you've got going btw? Sounds
> related. Post the part of the config for this if you're able.

It's rather caused by a SELinux policy which only allows icecast daemon to
listen on TCP/8000 port:

# sesearch --allow -s icecast_t -c tcp_socket
[...]
allow icecast_t port_type:tcp_socket name_bind; [ icecast_use_any_tcp_ports ]:True
allow icecast_t port_type:tcp_socket name_connect; [ icecast_use_any_tcp_ports ]:True
allow icecast_t port_type:tcp_socket { recv_msg send_msg }; [ icecast_use_any_tcp_ports ]:True
allow icecast_t soundd_port_t:tcp_socket { name_bind name_connect recv_msg send_msg };

If it's the cause, a corresponding log entry about denying the deamon to bind
a socket to the nonstandard port should appear in /var/log/audit/audit.log
when the deamon starts.

If one indeed wants to use any port by icecast, one can enable
icecast_use_any_tcp_ports SELinux boolean with

# setsebool icecast_use_any_tcp_ports on

The status can be queried like this:

# getsebool icecast_use_any_tcp_ports
icecast_use_any_tcp_ports --> on

-- Petr