[Icecast] "Could not create listener socket on port" error only when using systemd service

Michael C Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Mon Oct 16 17:37:21 UTC 2023

Hi,

I'm using icecast via Fedora 37 package and systemd service to start.

I've added multiple <listen-socket> but get:

"EROR connection/connection_setup_sockets Could not create listener
socket on port xxx"

Nothing listens on the ports in question, I verified via nc(1) and
manually starting icecast via

"/usr/bin/icecast -c /etc/icecast.xml"

I can't find anything (chroot?) in icecast.service file [1] that might
explain how the port is used for a short time causing start to fail.
Anyone have an idea what to try?

Thanks,
Michael

[1]

icecast.service:

[Unit]
Description=Icecast Network Audio Streaming Server
After=network.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/icecast -c /etc/icecast.xml
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target