[Icecast] Can I have the source client stream UDP to Icecast server without requiring the TCP 3 way handshake?

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Tue Nov 7 14:39:12 UTC 2023

On Nov 6, 2023, at 3:03 PM, Mike Heilman <mheilman at radiokansas.com> wrote:

> I have a simplex microwave radio ethernet bridge that can transport IP network traffic in one direction only.
> I need to get secondary audio streams to a transmitter site and Icecast source client seems like a good idea but the docs show me that it wants to establish a connection before starting the UDP stream.
> Can this be tweaked to just send the UDP steam to an ip address and port number. If not can anyone think of a work around to get it going the UDP steam through the link?

Your best bet may be an AES-67 based setup (such as Livewire+ or WheatNet). That includes a unicast mode that uses UDP (RTP to be precise) that should do what you need. Since it sounds like you’re in a broadcast plant, you may already have what you need at hand.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|         A room without books is like a body without a soul.         |
|                                                         -- Cicero   |