[Icecast] FW: How to fire up Icecast?

redwood.andrew at gmail.com redwood.andrew at gmail.com
Sun May 14 04:04:30 UTC 2023

Hi Johan,

I don’t know how to do this myself … but maybe you do?

The documentation you linked to is all very well – but I thought a very simple statement for newbies like me who merely want to use a fraction of Icecast’s power … to allow Roon to pick up a live stream of digitised vinyl and capture it (and broadcast it) as a local radio station, would be useful.

How to allow Roon to capture a live (digital) data stream – eg. from a phono stage plus A2D converter – and broadcast it as a local radio station:

NB: this was done on a W10 PC – but I expect works the same on other versions of Windows.

#1:  download Icecast.  You should find it gets loaded into a folder named ‘Icecast’, under ‘Program Files (x86)’ on your C:drive.

#2:  download BUTT (‘Broadcast Using This Tool’).

#3:  click on the ‘icecast.bat’ file.

#4:  set up a ‘Local radio station’ within Roon.

Perhaps you can display it somewhere in that documentation link?

Regards,

Andrew