[Icecast] Icecast-2.4.0-kh20_win64_setup based on ?

Richard G Elen relen at brideswell.com
Mon Jun 26 09:42:36 UTC 2023

On 26/04/2023 21:37, Manuel Hirth wrote:
> Icecast-KH is a fork maintained by Karl Heyes, that AFAIK initially got
> traction because of its FLV support, which was a big feature before
> Flash died out, but wasn't a good fit for the Xiph Foundation which
> besides Icecast develops and maintains free/libre codecs like FLAC
> Opus, and Theora.

IIRC Karl Heyes' version gained attention as a result of being specified
by PRONET Licensing and their predecessor for their royalty tracking and
US music licensing service - https://pronetlicensing.com/ - presumably
KH provides stats that aren't otherwise available. The PRONET web site
is a bit impenetrable and out of date, but I note:

"What kind of streaming servers is your service compatible with?
Answer: Shoutcast 1 and Shoutcast 2 and Icecast-KH servers only.
(Icecast 2 (non-KH) version 2.4.2 due out in early 2015 will also be
supported.)"

...but whether they actually implemented regular Icecast 2.4.2 support I
don't know.  It would be worth finding out what it is about the KH
branch that make PRONET require it, as there is only one other internet
radio licensing service around (Live365) and you can't use your own
streaming server with them.

RichardE