[Icecast] Transcode lossy to further reduced lossy to stream over Icecast

D.T. ohnonot-github at posteo.de
Sun Apr 16 17:05:03 UTC 2023

I created some test samples and transcoded to FDK AAC and libopus at
fairly low bitrates - I cannot recreate what bothered me about Opus &
noisy music previously.
It also seems I cannot tease ffmpeg into encoding FDK's AAC with VBR.
As it stands, Opus clearly wins in this scenario.*

Q:
Is it possible to stream in variable bitrate?

*
ffmpeg -i "$track" -vn -ac 2 -c:a libfdk_aac -profile:a aac_he_v2 -b:a $br -vbr 5 "${track}.HEv2_$br.aac"
ffmpeg -i "$track" -vn -ac 2 -c:a libopus -b:a $br -vbr on "${track}.vbr$br.ogg"