[Icecast] load balancing

Milton Huang mph at emotrics.com
Thu Oct 13 20:51:12 UTC 2022

Based on a suggestion Philipp made, I'm setting up an Icecast master/relay
setup where one Icecast master is broadcasting our stream to several
Icecast Relays which in turn receive direct client connections. All of this
is implemented on AWS ec2 Instances. To manage all the Relays under a
single URL, I'm currently using an AWS Load Balancer to distribute the
incoming requests from clients which all works fine.  My issue is that the
logs on the Relays only report the IP address of the Load Balancer, and not
of the original client. AWS automatically includes the client IP addresses
in a 'X-Forward-For' header, but Icecast doesn't parse that. I'm looking
for any suggestions on how to fix this so I can log all the correct client
IP addresses. (I *don't* want to change to the 'kh' branch just because
they implemented that header)

-milton