[Icecast] Reinstall changes icecast.xml

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Tue Jun 28 12:41:39 UTC 2022

Good morning,

On Mon, 2022-06-27 at 21:34 +0000, Dik .... wrote:
> Ubuntu 20.04.4
> Icecast 2.4.4-3ubuntu0.1
> [...]
> Then I do apt remove icecast2 and apt install icecast2.... The
> icecast.xml stays the same apart from:
>
>     [...]
> Are these passwords supposed to change on reinstall?  Where is it
> getting PASSWORD-D from, it's nowhere else in icecast.xml??
>
> I noticed this when I updated from 18.04 to 20.04, which meant that
> icecast didn't work as expected after the update, but the same
> happens with uninstall / reinstall on 20.04.
>
> This is unhelpful when updating

this doesn't look like it is about upstream Icecast but the Ubuntu
package. Therefore best addressed at the Ubuntu bug tracker.

However: There are some Debian based packages out there that manage the
password as part of the package configuration. My best guess here is
re-installing triggered the package manager to sync it's stored
password back into the config file. If that is the case maybe it is
best to manage the password within the package manager?

Over here at Debian that is debconf. And it asks me on install if I
want to have Icecast managed by it. If I select the managed mode I get:
   $ debconf-show icecast2
   * icecast2/icecast-setup: true
   * icecast2/hostname: localhost
   * icecast2/adminpassword: hackme
   * icecast2/sourcepassword: hackme
   * icecast2/relaypassword: hackme

So maybe you can also just disable that by setting icecast2/icecast-
setup to false? But again, I would like to refer you to the Ubuntu
package maintainer/bug tracker here as all the above is guesswork based
on how things are on Debian.

Still hope that helped.

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon:  +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015