[Icecast] notifying relays

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Thu Jul 14 09:25:52 UTC 2022

Good morning,

On Wed, 2022-07-13 at 17:53 -0700, Milton Huang wrote:
> I have a setup with an Icecast master server playing a continuous
> stream to a Relay on an AWS instance, which in turn provides an SSL
> stream to the world using the latest Icecast version 2.4.99.3. On
> occasion, we will start a second stream for testing purposes. What
> I'm finding is there is a long delay before the stream shows up,
> which I assume is related to the default master-update-interval.
> What I'm wondering is whether there is a way to notify the Icecast
> relay that I'm starting a new stream, as it seems wasteful to
> decrease the master-update-interval for something that only is used
> on occasion.  I really don't need the relay to be constantly polling
> besides making sure our main stream hasn't failed, as we only usually
> have the one stream.

If the second stream has a constant name you could just use an on-
demand relay. That will check the master only when there is a client
actually trying to access it.

Hope that helps. :)

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon:  +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015