[Icecast] Google ad manager pre-roll - is it possible using icecast?

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Sat Apr 9 21:59:40 UTC 2022

Good evening,

On Fri, 2022-04-08 at 16:05 +0000, Patricia Moynihan wrote:
> That’s basically my question
>
> Google ad manager pre-roll - is it possible using icecast?
>
> I know how to set up a basic pre-roll, but there are a lot of
> complaints about it (mostly from people with poor connections)
> replaying. I also needed to have the associated data.
>
> If there is something already written about how to do this, please
> point me in the right direction!

generally speaking this is possible. However it is a bit more
complicated and depends on a few variables.

First you need to tag each listener in some way. Then you must ensure
they only hit the intro once. E.g. with 2.5.x you can do that with the
auth system.

But, also keep in mind that some clients are broken and may generate
more than one request. So it might be a bit more tricky to get the into
sent to the one the listener is actually listening to.

I think it would be best to provide a bit more details: Exact version
of Icecast used, type if load balancing, general setup architecture,
...; otherwise it will be a bit of a guessing game.

With best regards,

PS: If you are looking more for business grade support feel free to
reply off-list.

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon:  +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015