[Icecast] Can you play Opus streams on iOS? -> Yes, you can [WAS: Re: Https Meta data]

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Mon Oct 25 17:50:33 UTC 2021

Good evening,

On Mon, 2021-10-25 at 20:43 +0300, Yahav Shasha wrote:
> If we're on the subject of Opus, is there any reliable way to
> playback opus http/s streams in iOS/MacOS Safari yet?

please don't hijack threads...

To your question: Apple tries to be in the way here again. They try to
be different to be different...

However there are several libraries and player supporting this. Which
is the one for your use case depends on your usecase.

Plus there is no reason not to also provide a low quality MP3 stream
for apple users. "Sadly the Vendor of your device did not add support
for premium quality streams, so we are presenting you a low quality
stream". Volla, your solution.

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015