[Icecast] Transcoding

Ken Gillett kengroups at icloud.com
Sun May 9 18:15:14 UTC 2021

This is for streaming radio stations broadcast from satellite and when there are no listeners, tuners must be free for use by other (Icecast) listeners or even TV.

Although both the SAT>IP server (minisatip) and Icecast know when they have at least one listener (and stop streaming when not), a separate intermediate transcoding process does not, but needs to be started and stopped, according to listener demand. Otherwise, it will stream continuously and minisatip will remain locked onto that tuner and both tuners (or however many there) will be permanently in use even when no-one is listening. Everything HAS to stop when there are no listeners.

As I understand it, Icecast will not be broadcasting any stream when there are no listeners, but the transcode process will continue transcoding and pulling the stream from minisatip, which will lock that tuner from any other usage. So somehow the transcoding process has to be stopped when there are no more listeners and likewise needs to be started when the first listener connects and right now I can see no way to do either.

Ken  G i l l e t t