[Icecast] Transcoding

Ken Gillett kengroups at icloud.com
Sun May 9 10:45:39 UTC 2021

Despite success in one area, I am now disappointed to realise that although Icecast can run a script when a source connects and/or disconnects, it doesn’t seem able to do this for listeners.

Although the actual source is a SAT>IP server that stops streaming and frees up the tuners when no more listeners (like Icecast does with relays) and Icecast will stop streaming when no more listeners, the required intermediate transcoding process knows nothing of all this. I was under the impression that Icecast could run scripts at the suitable times and I planned to write the script to handle this, starting and stopping an ffmpeg process doing the transcoding. But for this to work, I have to know when the first listener connects and when the last listener disconnects.

Anyone with deeper knowledge of Icecast suggest how I could achieve that?

Sent from my iPad