[Icecast] error from relay request

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Mon Jul 5 12:26:40 UTC 2021

Good afternoon,

On Sat, 2021-07-03 at 14:43 -0400, Christophe PEREZ wrote:
> On my own icecast server (2.4.4 on gentoo),

Thank you for the version info. :)

> I want to relay
> http://audio.bfmtv.com/rmcradio_128.mp3
>
> I can play it with mpv.
> My config for this relay :
>     <relay>
>         <server>audio.bfmtv.com</server>
>         <port>80</port>
>         <mount>/rmcradio_128.mp3</mount>
>         <local-mount>/rmc.mp3</local-mount>
>         <relay-shoutcast-metadata>1</relay-shoutcast-metadata>
>         <on-demand>1</on-demand>
>     </relay>
>
> (I have about 10 relays working fine for years)
>
> But, I can't get it working.
>
> [...]
>
> But why can't I relay this one ?

The resource at http://audio.bfmtv.com/rmcradio_128.mp3 is in fact a
redirect to https://audio.bfmtv.com/rmcradio_128.mp3, which is a TLS
based stream.

TLS based streams are currently not supported by Icecast for internal
relays. This is because Icecast does splicing of relays which does not
work (that easily) TLS based streams.

I fear your best option here would be to use an relay external to
Icecast. There are several software packages that can fetch a stream
and forward it Icecast (both with, and without transcoding).

If there is general interest I can go into details here (but would do
that in a different thread):
 * Why using splicing is very smart to do for Icecast,
 * and why it would be smart to have alternatives*.

Hope this helps you a bit.

With best regards,

* If someone is up for some work and/or sponsoring here, feel free to
contact me. :)

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015