[Icecast] Streaming OGG/Vorbis files dies on track change

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Mon Jul 5 12:04:55 UTC 2021

Good afternoon,

On Sun, 2021-07-04 at 10:24 +0800, kit wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm having issues with streaming OGG/Vorbis files to Icecast. I am
> using  Ezsteam to stream a playlist of Ogg files from the command
> line, but  when there is a track change the stream stops in clients
> like Clementine  and Windows Media Player. MPV client reports a
> discontinuity but carries on playing.
>
> I have also test using Mixxx to stream as Ogg to the same icecast
> server but it has the same issue. Only B.U.T.T. seems to handle track
> changes well.
>
> This is my mount details from the icecast XML file.
>
>      <mount type="normal">
>          <mount-name>/stream8001</mount-name>

That is a strange name for a mount.
Please also keep in mind that some broken players expect Ogg/Vorbis
streams to have an URI ending with ".ogg". This is NOT a problem of
Icecast, but of some players. So consider to change this.

>          <username>s8001</username>
>          <password>redacted</password>
>       </mount>
>
> There are no issues with streaming MP3 at all as far as I can see.
> But since I need to use EZstream OGG format is my only option.
>
> I'm looking at MPD+ncmpcpp as an alternative (more reading) but I
> would  like to stick with Ezstream at this point since I have it
> running.
>
> This track change issue with ogg files seems to be a known issue.
> But  reading the docs a bit more I wonder if the use of a fallback-
> mount setting using an ogg file of 5 secs of silence would fix
> things?

It depends on what the actual problem is. But I suspect it is not that
the source client drops the connection. A fallback would only help in
that case.

You can check this by having a look at your access.log. If it lists one
SOURCE, or PUT request per track, than this is the problem (and the
source client is having some issue). If you see only one SOURCE, or PUT
request for each runtime of the source client, then it does at least
this correctly.

Is there a public URI to your stream so we can have a look?

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015