[Icecast] Basic questions

Ken Gillett kengroups at icloud.com
Sun Apr 25 15:24:28 UTC 2021

Been aware of icecast for years, but only today started looking into actually using it and would appreciate some help and answers to a couple of questions:-

• Does icecast use unicast and/or multicast?

• If multicasting, do all listeners simply latch on to the same multicast stream?

• If no local clients listening, does that mean nothing is being broadcast onto the local network?

• If relaying a stream from another server and unicasting locally, am I right in thinking that it pulls a single stream from that external server, but can then re-broadcast that to multiple local listener clients?

• If set up to relay as above, but there no local clients actually listening, will icecast still be pulling the stream from that external server over the connecting network (broadband link in my use case)?

Hope someone can assist with my icecast knowledge building.

Ken  G i l l e t t