[Icecast] Install Icecast server with SSL - please help

Petr Pisar petr.pisar at atlas.cz
Sat Oct 17 17:20:02 UTC 2020

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 06:09:12PM +0200, Bananradion wrote:
> Maybe so, but i've tried to compile it several times myself.
> What to do after I've run "make install" for example?

"make install" installs the built executables into your system on a location
that was specified at ./configure command with --prefix (or similar) option.
Default --prefix is usually /usr/local, thus the icecast server could be
installed into /usr/local/bin/icecast file. Check the "make install" output.
You should see where the files were installed to. Distribution packages are
usually configured with --prefix=/usr to get the programs installed into
/usr/bin path.

Once the files are installed, you adjust the server configuration file in
/usr/local/etc/icecast.xml (or wherever you configured a path for the
configuration file) and then you start the server with
"/usr/local/bin/icecast -c /usr/local/etc/icecast.xml" command. See
<https://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.4.1/basic-setup.html>.

If you want to start the server automatically whenever booting up the machine,
you will have to add that command into the distribution start up script.
That's specific to each distribution. I don't know Raspbian.

I think the most perfect way of installing Icecast for Raspbian is actually
learn how to rebuilt a Debian package from Debian sources. Once you manage it,
you simply adjust the Debian package to meet your needs (e.g. enabling SSL
support) and the result will your new Icecast server packaged as a Debian
package.

-- Petr