[Icecast] Clients, not always connecting since about 2.4.1, 2.4.2.

Gavin Stephens gavin at stephens.net.nz
Wed May 20 15:17:22 UTC 2020

I'll get around to putting Wireshark on and seeing what's going on,
perhaps someone else has already noticed this:

Since I upgraded to 2.4.2 Win32 (used to use a kh branch version
previously) and then on to 2.4.4 Win32, I've been noticing clients don't
always connect successfully. VLC or Muses player does this out of every
dozen connection attempts, sometimes as few as 2 or 3. I've double
checked firewalls on the server and on the NAT router and everything
seems okay. The same issue happens internally on LAN IP's from another
LAN client.

Normally I don't worry about it, but I had some comments about how long
the stream I have was taking to buffer. I later put it down to
re-connection attempts by the web player I'm using so have started to
re-investigate this.

So I hunted out a 2.4.0 kh8 server found here
http://radionz-ice.streamguys.com/ (don't know what OS) and these
streams switch seamlessly without any connection problems. No matter how
many times I re-start the stream. So if I go clean out the 2.4.4 files
and directory and install 2.4.0 kh8 on the server here, the problem goes
away.

I then went looking for a 2.4.2 server (I don't know what OS), and I've
struck the same problem with connecting to theirs
http://icecast.mediaworks.nz/. Now I realise this particular server's
links are mis-configured for port 8000 when the server is on port 80.
However, this is a known server version I already knew where to find.
Typing the link in by hand with the correct port works but it doesn't
always connect, similar to the issue I'm having on 2.4.4 Win32 on the
server above here.

Has anyone come across this yet? I'm considering rolling back to the
earlier kh8 Win32 branch like Radio NZ are using above to fix this.

Cheers,

Gavin.