[Icecast] Icecast source client with web request/voting for next to play function

Michael Hunt mjcolorado89 at aol.com
Fri Mar 20 01:44:53 UTC 2020

hayden at blindcafe.net <mailto:hayden at blindcafe.net>

From: Icecast <icecast-bounces at xiph.org> On Behalf Of Robert Jeffares
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 7:05 PM
To: icecast at xiph.org
Subject: Re: [Icecast] Icecast source client with web request/voting for next to play function

Hi Kokos

The first thing you need is a music play out system. Almost anything can play a random song from your collection; but; you have some conditions you want to place on the play out process.

I recommend a program called Rivendell which is free and will do everything you want.

http://static.paravelsystems.com/rivendell-install-rd3/rivendell-install-rhel7.html

There is a FB group and a mailing list and a Wiki.

The Rivendell system includes a stream creation program which will output mp3 or AAC+ or you can output the audio to a mixer and route that to a computer running darkice or whatever.

You will need a computer running Icecast2  and I recommend you do not try and run it on the same computer as Rivendell.

You can build Icecast2 on Ubuntu Server on almost anything.

If you want someone to be able to request a song 'on-line', something I caution you against, you can create web page code in perl or python which will achieve that.

All music is normalised to the same level which you have full control over. Big subject. Too big for here. You can install some dynamic processing.

You import your music, set up events to play it with separation rules. Put the events into clocks where you can add more selection rules.

Your home broadband will not support too many listeners. Depending on how much choke your ISP puts on your service; and they all do; you might get 3 or 4 reliable simultaneous connects so you will need a streaming service.

Depending where there are plenty of options. You get what you pay for.

Have fun.

regards

Robert