[Icecast] SSL-Question

Paul Martin pm at nowster.me.uk
Mon Jun 29 12:25:36 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 01:42:54PM +0200, Ervin Bizjak wrote:
> And how do you have it then left it arranged? I have a windows system. Like
> I said I have a domain that is just parked and entered in the dns, but I
> don’t use it. This certificate also belongs to this domain.

Whether you're using Windows or Linux or CP/M is not relevant here.

If you have a usable domain entry, you can get an A and/or AAAA record
pointed at your icecast server's IP address.  But DNS matters are
beyond the scope of this mailing list.

The exact FQDN needs to match the certificate for it to be valid.  For
example if your server is on https://icecast.example.com:8443/ the
certificate has to be for "icecast.example.com" or "*.example.com".

Just "example.com" won't work.  Having it on https://example.com:8443/
would work, but that means if you ever want to have a webserver at
some point in the future, it would need to run on the same physical
server as your Icecast server.

You can have a certificate which is valid for many names, eg.

example.com
www.example.com
icecast.example.com

or

*.example.com

How you obtain one of those depends on the certification authority you
are using and is also outside the scope of this mailing list.

--
Paul Martin <pm at nowster.me.uk>
...who ran uucp on CP/M in the early 1990s.