[Icecast] Can't play from iPhone

Kurt Fitzner kurt+icecast at va1der.ca
Mon Jun 15 01:55:52 UTC 2020

I am having a terrible time getting an iPhone to connect to my stream.
I am trying to connect through just a normal web browser (Safari) to my
icecast 2.4.4 server.  When I connect to the web page, the iphone
doesn't see the <audio> tag on the stream.  I think safari doesn't
recognize application/ogg as a mime type, which is what icecast 2.4.4's
web server puts on it.  When I try and link directly to the stream, the
best I can get is the message where Safari asks me if I want to download
public.ogg.

The streaming app I am using supports vorbis and opus but neither work.
Here is my ogg mount:

    <mount>
        <mount-name>/public.ogg</mount-name>
        <stream-name>Public</stream-name>
        <stream-description>Public broadcast</stream-description>
        <max-listeners>100</max-listeners>
        <genre>Public</genre>
        <type>audio/ogg</type>
        <subtype>vorbis</subtype>
        <public>1</public>
        <hidden>0</hidden>

<dump-file>/etc/icecast2/recordings/public_%F-%H%M%S.ogg</dump-file>
    </mount>

Is there a trick for iPhone?

    Kurt