[Icecast] admin console

Marvin Scholz epirat07 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 09:59:09 UTC 2020

On 6 Jan 2020, at 22:56, user wrote:

> 2020-01-06 17:50, Philipp Schafft wrote:
>> Good evening,
>>
>> On Mon, 2020-01-06 at 10:24 +0000, user wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>> Is it possible to bind admin console on different port?
>>>
>>> icecast 2.4.4
>>
>> No, this is not possible with Icecast 2.4.x. Doing that would even break
>> some kinds of clients.
>>
>> Please note that it would not add to security as too often falsely
>> claimed. If you want to improve your security, use a strong password and
>> TLS.
>
> My password is strong, even admin name strong too.
> Why TLS? To avoid password interception?
>
> I'm consider to put icecast behind reverse proxy. It is not so easy as I
> think before. Does anyone have experience with it?

In general putting Icecast behind a reverse proxy is not the best idea
as some webservers are not really made out of the box to easily deal
with the kind of usage Icecast will usually produce (long running connections
serving a continuous stream). Additionally Icecast is not really capable
currently do deal with being reverse-proxied properly so some things will
break when doing that.

So unless you want to shoot yourself in the foot and run into various
issues I would not recommend to do it.