[Icecast] Possible CORS issue

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Sat Feb 15 14:21:37 UTC 2020

Good morning,

On Fri, 2020-02-14 at 22:48 +0000, Chip wrote:
> Thanks Marvin.
>
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 22:37, Marvin Scholz <epirat07 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does icecast 2.4.4 not have HEAD support  ?

No, official Icecast does not support HEAD requests as they are largely
useless in Icecast context.

HEAD requests are meant for cache validation. So they only apply to
static files basically. For Icecast, beside a few boring files in web/
the answer to "is my copy still valid" is always "no". So by not
supporting HEAD the client will retry with GET. Which... the client
would need to do anyway IF we would reply with a positive status code
for HEAD.

Also (ab)using HEAD for monitoring is hardly useful:
The stress to the server is the same for answering a non-stub* response
to HEAD than to GET as in both cases the client must be attached to the
source. Even a stub response ("endpoint exists" or "not found") would
require most steps. It requires finding the endpoint, running its auth
and applying its ACLs. That is more than half way thru the attach
process.

Hope that helps you. :)

With best regards,

* Non-stub results are hardly useful as HTTP is stateless anyway. The
standard acknowledges that by making all information about the actual
resource beside its existence optional.

--
Philipp.
 (Rah of PH2)