[Icecast] admin console

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Mon Feb 10 18:10:23 UTC 2020

Good evening,

On Thu, 2020-02-06 at 19:20 +0000, user wrote:

> > > I'm consider to put icecast behind reverse proxy. It is not so easy as I
> > > think before. Does anyone have experience with it?
> >
> > In general putting Icecast behind a reverse proxy is not the best idea as
> > some webservers are not really made out of the box to easily deal with the
> > kind of usage Icecast will usually produce (long running connections
> > serving a continuous stream). Additionally Icecast is not really capable
> > currently do deal with being reverse-proxied properly so some things will
> > break when doing that.
> >
> > So unless you want to shoot yourself in the foot and run into various
> > issues I would not recommend to do it.
>
> Expectation on malicious activity force me to put icecast behind reverse
> proxy. It was not easy, but works very well.

So, what kind of "malicious activity" exactly? And what exact HTTP level
software is more robust against those activities than Icecast?

I'm fully in support that active components on lower levels can be
helpful in some situations. But I would love to hear about any analysis
indicating specific request patterns that would be better handled by
external software. If you would share your information rather than
keeping us in the dark about specifics it would enable us to improve
Icecast for all users including you. :)

With best regards,

--
Philipp.