[Icecast] Icecast streaming https

José Luis Artuch artuch at speedy.com.ar
Thu Feb 6 03:23:03 UTC 2020

Hi Henk,

El mié, 05-02-2020 a las 18:53 +0100, Henk van de Ridder escribió:
> > I am struggling to get icecast running with https, but I cannot get
> > it working
> > My environment is: Debian 10 (Buster)
> >
> > I tried the standard debian package but there is no SSL capability
> > at all.
> >
> > So I compiled the icecast-2.4.4.tar.gz contents with ./configure --
> > with-curl --with-openssl; make; make install
> >
> > I always get the error: [2020-02-05  17:35:36] INFO
> > connection/get_ssl_certificate No SSL capability on any configured
> > ports
> >
> > The parts of the icecast.xml are:
> >
> >    <listen-socket>
> >         <port>8780</port>
> >     </listen-socket>
> >     <listen-socket>
> >         <port>9780</port>
> >         <ssl>1</ssl>
> >     </listen-socket>
> >
> >   <paths>
> >
> > <ssl_certificate>/etc/icecast2/letsencrypt.pem</ssl_certificate>
> >      </paths>
> >
> > The letsencrypt.pem is combined out of the certificate (cert.key)
> > and private key file.
> > The letsencrypt.pem is readeable for the icecast user
> > I allready tried other pem’s but nothing solves the problem.
> >
> > (Just for reference I already have https running on debian 7
> > (wheezy) with the icecast-kh-icecast-2.4.0-kh7 version.
> >
> > Does anyone realised met the same problem with a solution for this
> > ?
> > Have you some advices for me ?
> >
> > Many thanks in advice
> >
> > Henk van de Ridder

On Debian Stretch it works very well following this steps indicated by
Thomas B. Rücker:
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/2018-August/014317.html

On Debian Buster I only achieved HTTPS with a work around (proxy), but
I checked this alert by Thomas:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50525044/restream-a-mp3-stream-over-https-with-ssl
"Another word of warning. Traditional web servers are not designed for
continuous streams. You'll waste a lot of incoming bandwidth (each
client connection causes one connection to the origin), but also memory
consumption. Also more than a hand full of client connections might
make the server seize. (depending on default limits) – TBR"

Regards.
José Luis