[Icecast] multiple instances? Updated

Robert Jeffares jeffares.robert at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 12:06:20 UTC 2019

Hi Foxxe,

Just caught up with this today and I think that there is a problem here
in that you are asking for something that Icecast *PROVIDES* but it's no
something that Icecast *does* alone.

First of all lets acknowledge that Icecast is an open source program
[=free] and that various people, Thomas_B in particular, give their time
and skill freely.

You can't expect 24/7 support. If you want it there are lots of good
contractors who will accommodate you.

I believe Shoutcast is also open source but I don't know any to much
about it.

I do know what both programs are stream delivery platforms which can
deliver various [audio] streams from a server to clients [listeners]
within the limits of available bandwidth, and any limits set in the
configuration. They are by no means the only games in town, but they are
the most common.

Icecast can deliver any number of progamme streams from *one server*
within the limits as described above.

A stream needs to be created by an *ENCODER* program which takes audio
from somewhere in some format and encodes it in a format that the aveage
client can convert back to audio. Common formats are mp3 [sigh] AAC,
AAC+. In your case you are using MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga) which is
running 44100 256kb/s.

I use Darkice because it allows me to encode in AAC+ but there are
plenty of options.

Icecast and Shoutcast allow your encoder program to mount the stream on
the address of the Streaming Server usually as an agreed user with an
agreed password.

Streaming is available on port 8000 [default] or any other port you care
to use. Be careful; other people use other ports for various well known
purposes so straying too far can be disingenuous.

In your case you want two independent programmes to be available on your
website so you set up two instances of an encoder and mount both on the
icecast server with different names.

You can have the Icecast server and a couple of instances of darkice on
the same server provided you have enough processor power, ram, and hard
disk space. You will need two sound cards or one with two independent
inputs. Alternately you may have playout systems which deliver audio in
some digital format. Rivendell has nice encoder called GlassCoder. If
you run Jack you can use Jamin as a levelling and dynamic equalizer device.

I have an Icecast server which delivers 3 streams generated locally from
one source, and a daily drop in from another continent for a 2 hour show.

Ice cast is configured with default settings with the passwords changed
and port 8000 fowarded from the router to the server.

Two of the streams are picked up by a service provider who can support
500 simultaneous clients. Our studio ISP service chokes at anything
above 10!

We direct feed a number of transmitter sites with AAC+ which has proven
very reliable. No drop out's!

So lets summarise.

Icecast works 'out of the box' with minor config tweaks. The passwords,
and the server ip address.

The encoder is a little more detailed to set up. You need a source for
audio, a sample rate [that the gear will handle], and maybe a bit rate.

Audio level is critical. I use Darkice. I think the remote studio is
using BUTT. There are boxes like Barix which will do the job.

There are many encoders but not so many streaming servers.

Icecast can take a Shoutcast formatted stream and relay it either as a
'look like shoutcast' or reworked as Icecast.

Some broadcast playout systems will encode shoutcast only and Icecast
has some advantages. Yes some are undocumented.

I build servers on repurposed desktops running ubuntu server Icecast and
Darkice. I have a colleague who builds the same thing on a Raspberry Pi.

You can use just about anything. If analog audio set the system to use
the sound card default.

Avoid windows if at all possible as updates create havoc with audio.

One problem you will have is that anything more than 5 connections to
your site will be unreliable even if you have an unlimited fibre connection.

You need lots of upload to support listeners and avoid those pesky dropouts.

I hope this helps. If you need some config advice let me know what you
are running as encoder and post your Icecast.xml.

regards

Robert

PS The blues format is not bad, lots of dropouts here but the content is
jolly good.