[Icecast] multiple instances? Updated

wilderzone.radio.2 wilderzone.radio.2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 20:22:33 UTC 2019

Hello, Thomas_B._Rücker,

>>> I am not familiar with a file called "icecast_run.xml".
>>> Could this be a local modification to your installation?
>>>
>>> You should be able to check which one is used by opening the
>>> "icecast.bat" file that you are using to start the server.
>> aha!! You nailed it! I have no idea why but the package I downloaded months ago (Icecast v2.4.3)
>> came with the batchfile premade and the actual configs seem to be this oddly named file... (I recall being confused as to why there would be TWO config files, but I've seen stranger things in the past so I editted both to reflect my needs...)
>>
>> So here is the actual working config:
>>
>> Now I don't see anywhere in which I can put the extra mount points
>> (nor do I recall a port designation for the 2nd stream mentioned at all tonight).
>

>Yes, those fields are not included in your configuration file, but can
>be inserted.
>It's kind of arbitrary, but you could insert those <mount>…</mount>
>sections/lines after the second </listen-socket> and before the <limits>
>line.
>
>I *strongly* recommend to create a backup copy of the working config
>file! It's easy to miss something and end up with Icecast refusing to start.
>

>> <icecast>
>> <hostname>wilder Zone</hostname>
>> <location>My Wilderness</location>
>> <admin>wilderzone.radio at gmail.com</admin>
>
>So this line defines to which mountpoint a Shoutcast source client gets
>redirected:

the email addy does this? THAT gets a bit more confusing.

>> <shoutcast-mount>/rock</shoutcast-mount>

I truly don't understand HOW the hell shoutcast even gets mentioned in the configs at all. To me that's like going to Domino's Pizza and ordering a Big Mac (no sense at all)

>That's an implicit mount definition.
>If you want to be able to use Shoutcast source clients for either mount,
>then your configuration will have to change a bit.
>It's described here:
>https://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.4.1/config-file.html#backward-compatibility-with-shoutcast-source-clients
>If you need help with making those modifications, I'm sure there are
>people on the mailing list who can lend a hand.

I've been working on this with the mailing list literally ALL NIGHT and only got a few instances of understanding of all this.
(but have been searching for help other places with absolutely no luck at all - I have an easier time finding help with OS/2 and they've not used that since 1994!!)

Icecast docs aren't very easy to understand and they mention very little about each setting and they NEVER mention why shoutcast ANYTHING is
used at all,  so I see "shoutcast-mount" and "mount" to mean TWO DIFFERENT THINGS and making them similar in phonic structure only adds to confusion.

In short, I'd have an easier time learning Cantonese from a deaf person with a hair-lip!

Best regards.

Foxxe
wilderzone.radio.2 at gmail.com
  thewilderzone.sytes.net