[Icecast] Custom HTTP auth headers

Thiago Sousa Santos thiagossantos at gmail.com
Tue May 28 17:41:39 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 2:50 AM Philipp Schafft <
phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> On Mon, 2019-05-27 at 22:09 -0700, Thiago Sousa Santos wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to have my icecast client (libshout based) that would use the
> HTTP
> > header:
> >
> > "Authorization: bearer <token>"
> >
> > as its authentication method. I didn't find documentation on how to do
> it,
> > also couldn't find anything like that in libshout source code. Is this
> > possible in the current code?
>
> No.
>

> > Additionally, if not possible, is this feature something interesting to
> > have at libshout or should I use something else?
>
> I actually thought about it several times the last year. However it has
> not proven very useful to an Icecast based system because RFC 6750 which
> defines it is missing a very important point: There is no way to inform
> the client about the token. It is always transferred via a side channel
> (from the HTTP perspective).
>
> This not-so-little details renders it mostly useless in my opinion.
>
> I wonder, why do you want it? No official Icecast can work with it
> anyway?

I'm working on our own client that would require authentication to a
service before users can stream from Icecast.
The idea is that they authenticate and get a token from this service and,
when connecting to Icecast, they sent this same token. Icecast will be
configured to forward the HTTP header to the same service so that it can
identify and authorize the user before it can receive the stream. This is
still at the planning phase and, so far, the client would have to be
specific to this service because of this authentication requirement. Is
there a better alternative to this authentication that would work out of
the box, assuming there is a separate service that needs also to auth the
same users?

> Also feel free to join us for a little chat about it on IRC:
> https://icecast.org/contact/#contact-info

Thanks for the help, I just joined and I'm thiagoss.

> With best regards,
>
> --
> Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
> Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92
>
> Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
> Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
> 04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
> Germany                                 DE305133015

Thiago Sousa Santos