[Icecast] OPUS Metadata in IceCast v2.4.4

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Wed May 15 09:52:19 UTC 2019

Good morning

On Wed, 2019-05-15 at 10:42 +0100, Paul Martin wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 12:46:05PM +0000, Philipp Schafft wrote:
> > On Mon, 2019-05-13 at 17:55 +0100, Paul Martin wrote:
> > > I can see support for reading it from incoming Ogg/Opus streams in the
> > > git logs, but not for inserting it (eg. using the updatemetadata.xsl
> > > script).  Is that what you meant by "only about displaying"?
> >
> > Metadata are in the authority of the source client. The interface you
> > point to is *only* for legacy formats that do not support metadata
> > themself (namely: MP3, and AAC).
>
> Yet it's explicitly supported for Ogg/Vorbis and that interface is
> commonly used by source client software (and administrators wishing to
> override the current channel's metadata).

This support was many many years ago. Even before any of the current
members had even joined the project. We don't know why it was decided to
add back then.

Looking back the last decade it has been a source of problems and
nothing else. And worse, it made people write bad source clients.

Using it for non-MP3/AAC streams has always been wrong. I don't see why
we should repeat this mistake for new features (new formats and codecs).

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015