[Icecast] Source client with HTTP PUT

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Mon May 13 08:53:40 UTC 2019

Good morning,

On Tue, 2019-05-07 at 11:49 +0000, Jürgen Bund wrote:
> Hello again,
> for now I figuered out to send a mp3 stream to IceCast with TCP Socket communication.
> Now I'm challenged with the correct timing for the data packets.

> Are there any API calls for getting the state of IceCast's buffer?

The size of the buffer in Icecast is the queue-size. And beside right
after the stream start it is always full (as per how queues work). Plus
there is no point in asking for it.

Icecast does not touch the data or it's timing. It will send to the
listeners as fast and as slow as the source sends.

> I'm programming now on a scheduler for sending the mp3 frames, depending on the metada of each frame.
> I hope, that this is precisly enough.

For MP3 that seems to be the correct way.

> Can you tell me in a nutshell, how libshout is handling this problem?

libshout has a demuxer for supported formats. From the demuxer it is
informed about the relative timestamps of the data it sends. Using this
relative time and the time that actually passed it will tell the caller
how long to wait before the next chunk must be sent.

There is also a sleep function that suspends the calling thread for the
right amount of time. This is very handy for simple source clients.

I still very strongly recommend to spend the time in writing a binding
for libshout than to reimplement libshout.

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015