[Icecast] 8000 security risk?

Gavin Stephens gavin at stephens.net.nz
Fri May 10 05:14:44 UTC 2019

I have a server running on 8000 and I know of some running multiple
stations all through port 80 (which I would think was worse). Never
heard of any major problems and my logs usually look okay.

Good practice is to check the logs now and then and block appropriate
IP's causing problems if needed. I wouldn't just set and forget a server
regardless of what it was. But background scanners and the likes are
pretty tiny amounts of traffic.

If someone uses a port scanner to see what's open on a host it doesn't
matter what port it's on.

Cheers,

Gavin.