[Icecast] YP Directory Listing Concern

Thomas B. Rücker thomas at ruecker.fi
Fri Mar 29 07:41:33 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 3/29/19 6:34 AM, Prince Naryk wrote:
> but what if I don't use third party service is there any ways to
> stream in icecast publicly ?

You need either of these:

* your personal machine MUST be reachable from the public Internet
  By default this is NOT the case for most private internet connections.
  At the very least you would need to reconfigure a NAT-router.

* an Internet exposed server (e.g. in the cloud)

Setting either up is out of scope of this mailing list. We focus
strictly on Icecast, the server software.

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 2:23 PM Prince Naryk
> <princekyran.pabate at gmail.com <mailto:princekyran.pabate at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     hi,
>     im so sorry i made you confuse,
>
>      lets make things simple,
>      i will attach here my config file (the passwords are the default
>     for now).

As I tried to point out before, this is NOT simple. Most of your trouble
is with things that are not Icecast.

For 'streaming to the internet' (and listing on YP) you MUST provide:

* A publicly reachable TCP port (IPv6 and or IPv4)
  Please note that RFC1918 is NOT public (192.168..; 10...; 172.16-31..)
  Neither is RFC 6598 - 100.64...

* A world wide resolvable DNS entry for the IP address(es) involved above
  Technically this is optional, but we STRONGLY recommend it.

This mailing list will NOT help you with either of those two. You MUST
provide this by yourself. If you need help with this, PLEASE seek it
elsewhere. PLEASE do not attempt to discuss it on this list (request to
all subscribers reading this).

>     and see if this configuration will now work over the internet and
>     can be heard publicly,
>     I only change the hostname, also please check it if it's the
>     correct one.

As already pointed out in my last email this will NOT work with YP in
the current form. I won't comment further.

Please ensure the above mentioned prerequisites are in place before you
try this again.

Thomas

PS: For other mailing list subscribers playing along at home: The RFC
1918/6598 network notation is intentionally wrong for simplicity and to
avoid further confusion.