[Icecast] Meta Data for opus and FLAC do not work

Paul Martin pm at nowster.me.uk
Wed Aug 14 17:10:55 UTC 2019

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 09:25:41AM +0200, Michel van Dop wrote:
> I try to find out how to update the meta data on a flac or opus stream.

To expand on the other response.  If there is metadata in the FLAC or
Opus (Ogg) stream, Icecast will not modify it.

> Look like its not support this formats. And update interface do not
> work.

Icecast's update interface is only implemented for MP3, AAC and
possibly Vorbis streams, as metadata updates for MP3 and AAC are not
possible except as out-of-band ICY updates.

(Yes, it's annoying that there is this inconsistency.)

In addition, many clients are not able to accept metadata updates as
part of the Ogg (FLAC, Vorbis, Opus) stream, expecting ICY metadata
only.

Also, some buggy clients consider a change of metadata in an Ogg
stream (which is usually accompanied by a change in stream serial
number) as being the end of streaming, and will stop playback on a
metadata change.

--
Paul Martin <pm at nowster.me.uk>