[Icecast] Configure Ubuntu Server 16.04 for icecast2

Robert Jeffares jeffares.robert at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 23:53:39 UTC 2018

Hi BKF,

you can configure icecast to serve thousands of listeners but it's not
going to happen on anything less then an industrial strength internet
connection.

If you have ADSL you can probably handle 5 listeners maybe 10 on an
average service.

If you have VDSL increase that to 15 maybe.

If you have fibre it might do 25.

It all depends on the service provided by your ISP and the condition of
the cabling between the local switch and your location.

They control how much data you can send and recieve even on " unlomited "

Then it depends  on the modem router, and your in house network,
although these are less likely problem areas.

If you want 5000 listeners you have to send audio to a Streaming Service
Provider who has a BIG internet upload capability which costs money.

There are some that charge rather low rates for 200-1000 connections
because they know that while you pay for capability very few stations
have more then one or two listeners on line at any time.

I support one that has up to 200 listeners and we may be at 40 or so
except when there is some critical news breaking which takes us over the
100.

We have a feed for an app and a feed for tunein and a feed for the
website. The app has the highest usage