[Icecast] Tracking Listeners with Key and other parameters

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Thu Nov 29 06:43:54 UTC 2018

Good morning,

On Tue, 2018-11-27 at 12:00 -0500, Alex Hackney wrote:
> I do have control over the headers. The webapp is built in php.

Ok.

> So the ideal path would be.
>
> 1) Client hits my web app for the m3u file.
>
>      http://webapp.com/station-aac/listen.m3u
>
> 2) I create a session id and send that back with the icecast server path(s)
>
>      http://east.icecastserver.com/station-aac
>
>      http://west.icecastserver.com/station-aac
>
> 3) Client makes request to icecast and the url auth sends the request
> for auth back to the app where we log the session id again from the
> header as starting a session
>
>      http://webapp.com/listener_joined
>
> 4) App returns the ok to icecast and the server begins the stream.
>
> 5) If the client drops and reconnects to icecast it already has the
> session in the header for the icecast path and we're good to go.

Yes.

> As far as source goes, since im sending the client to the web app first
> for the header and server path, I can take that query string there or
> just have a uri for the source.
>

> http://webapp.com/station-aac/listen.m3u?source=alexa
>
> OR
>
> http://webapp.com/station-aac/alexa/listen.m3u
>
> http://webapp.com/station-aac/android-app/listen.m3u
>
> http://webapp.com/station-aac/whatever/listen.m3u

Yes. But again, it's not a good idea to have that session string in
there, at least not with a non-namespaced parameter.

> Thanks for your help.

No problem.

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015