[Icecast] Getting metadata on a relay mount.

Robert Jeffares jeffares.robert at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 07:49:09 UTC 2017

Icecast2 server set up to deliver a stream to a web based player.
First mount is for home based DJ contributors to programme.
Fall Back is an automated playlist.
We want to send metadata by tweet from the web based player mount which
serves either source depending whether there is a live show or not.

It had to be a relay to relay the data.
Then to get the tweets to work we had to enable shoutcast meta data.

<!-- Define automation.aac mount  -->
    <mount>
         <mount-name>/automation.aac</mount-name>
         <hidden>0</hidden>
    </mount>
         <!-- Defines live.aac mount which falls back to automation.aac
if there is no service mounted as live.aac  -->
    <mount>
         <mount-name>/live.aac</mount-name>
         <fallback-mount>/automation.aac</fallback-mount>
         <fallback-override>1</fallback-override>
         <hidden>0</hidden>
    </mount>
<!-- Defines a local relay called listen which is used by the web player
which serves whatever is on live.aac -->

     <relay>
         <server>139.162.236.22</server>
         <port>8000</port>
         <mount>/live.aac</mount>
         <local-mount>/listen</local-mount>
     <!-- this has to be set to 1 so the metadata goes out on twitter -->
<relay-shoutcast-metadata>1</relay-shoutcast-metadata>
     </relay>

Tweets worked from the live and automatiion mounts but would not work
from the listen mount UNLESS the shoutcast flag was set to 1.

This may be useful to someone.

regards
Robert Jeffares