[Icecast] both ssl and non-ssl stream on the same socket

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Fri Nov 3 09:21:31 UTC 2017

Good morning,

On Thu, 2017-11-02 at 15:12 +0200, Alexandru Matei wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I configured icecast to serve a stream over ssl and it plays nice in Chrome
> and VLC. But on plain http I get *connection reset*. This stream's url is
> the same for many years now, and it is included in many radio directories,
> TuneIn and other apps. I can't change it or break it.
>
> Is there a way to have a stream that servs the content over ssl and plain
> http in the same time, depending on the request?

This is a feature provided by Icecast2 2.5.x which is the current
development version. (Icecast2 2.4.x is in feature-freeze and is only
updated for important and/or security bugs.)

When setting the TLS mode to "auto" Icecast will automagically detect if
a client requests no TLS, TLS via RFC2817, or via RFC2818[0].

Note that the development version is not stable yet, but I think it's
totally worth to have a look at. You can clone the current development
version from git[1].

I would also be happy to hear about your experience.

With best regards,

[0]
https://wiki.xiph.org/Icecast_Server/known_https_restrictions#TLS_Mode_compatibility_charts
[1] https://wiki.xiph.org/Icecast_Server/Git_workflow#Cloning_the_Repo

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015