[Icecast] Using Icecast relay function with dynamic IP at remote source end

David Saunders abitar.com at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 03:47:27 UTC 2017

ok let see if I can translate it to broadcaster terms for ya :)

A icecast server can be set up to accept direct source connection. ie dark
ice( which i do agree runs better on the  machine where icecast server is.
) I do use it to trans-code the mount to different encoding.

THe icecast server can also set up as a relay, where it pulls in from the
another server.  Primary used to pull the stream from a icecast server.
Then make it available to be acceded by clients from it mounts.

But, BUTT is designed to stream to an icecast server, and does very well.

http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.4.1/relaying.html

Master is the source server (where the source comes from) ad Slave is the
relay. THe connection is initiated by the slave to the master.

BUTT ---MASTER ========= SLAVE ===== Clients
--- can be local host or lan or wan  private or public

== is public connections wans/lans/...

If you need more bandwidth you can setup/rent other SLAVEs on other
networks to augment you bandwidth.

It lot easier to have 1 master and bunch of slaves to spreading the
bandwidth out,  It easier to maintain a single master with many mounts + it
easy to trace problems down with sources going to a common Master.

I tend to diverge from your question a bit.   But, your encoder should work
find with broadcaster to the icecast server by itself. I have had it done
for the past 10 years. The only real issue s when you encode the stream
higher then what he bandwidth can handle.  remember the source clients use
the UPLOAD speed of you connection and the client use the UPLOAD speeds. In
the USA it no uncommon to have uploads speeds to be far slower then you can
download. Also I am talking about how fast the connection is not how much
data you have in a month. It get really confusing when you talk about
bandwidth, since they call both bandwidths.One is how big your pipe is and
other how much you get through the pipe in a given time.

Lot of the extra above fore those reading this and nee d a little more
clarity :)
David

SLAVE looks a the master waiting for something to do. When it sees the
mount it relays it.